Pedal For Peace 2013: A journey from KK to Labuan
Pedal for Peace is a 200KM cycling event comprising of more than 150 cyclists cycling in Sabah and Labuan FT. The concept of Pedal for Peace was designed to achieve the following objectives:
- To promote the message of peace among Malaysians by highlighting a unifying element of Sabah and Labuan’s history;
- To promote cycling as a new and exciting sport tourism product in Sabah and Labuan;
- To highlight the tourism attractions of Sabah and Labuan along the cycling route;
- To support domestic tourism development initiatives;
- To increase global awareness of Sabah and Labuan as a sporting venue.
The flag off for the event happens at Sutera Harbour at 4AM. Cyclist began to fill up the venue as early as 12AM for registration and preparation for the long cycling journey.
Datuk Susan Wong, who leads the flag off mentioned in the interview that she encourages the local authorities to consider providing a proper cycling routes in Sabah, as well as a building Pedal for Peace Park for cyclist in Benoni, Papar.
She praised Nancy Koh, the founder for Pedal For Peace and the team for making such events that promotes Sabah in tourism.
Nancy, who is also CEO and founder of GET (Go Easy Travel) disclosed that the next Pedal For Peace (2014) route will encompass Sarawak-Brunei-Sabah, covering about 400KM.
The GET Team has drawn up a list of events for 2013-2014 as part of its publicity campaign to draw attention to Sabah and Federal Territory of Labuan as an ideal venue for sports, food, art & entertainment and MICE events.
To get more info on the latest activities by GET, check out their official website.